George Washington University Professional Center
The Loudoun Center for Plastic Surgery
45155 Research Place, Suite 125
Ashburn, VA 20165
Facial Plastic Surgery Options
There are many options for facial cosmetic surgery. These options include:
- Facelift (rhytidectomy)
- Facial skin procedures
- Forehead or brow lift surgery
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)
- Protruding ear correction (otoplasty)
- Neck lift
- Nose reshaping surgery (rhinoplasty)
- Lip augmentation
Each of these procedures should be performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon. Here are more details for each of the options:
Facelift in Northern Virginia
Aging causes facial changes. These include:
- Deep lines
- Changes in skin tone
- Changes in facial shape
- Changes in where and how facial fat is stored
- Decreases in muscle tone
Facelifts are designed to improve these conditions. Facelifts work by:
- Improving the tightness of the skin, sometimes by removing excess skin
- Changing the shape of the skin around the face and neck (pulling it tighter)
- Removing or moving fat.
A word of caution: while face lifts are used to tighten the face and fight aging, they do not stop the aging process!
Face lifts are a very common procedure, and there are many options. The options vary in terms of the procedure used and how invasive it is. Regardless of the option chosen, face lifts are often done at the same time as one or more of the procedures below. This may result in a very detailed procedure with detailed face lift instructions to follow. Dr. Michael J. Brown will go over detailed plans with each patient. He will discuss the face lift risks and what to expect and how long the results will last. The surgery selected and the genetic make up of the patient are very important factors in the longevity of the result.
Facial Skin Procedures in Ashburn VA
Facial skin can be treated in a number of ways. Wrinkles can be reduced, redness lessened, and dark spots lightened, just to name a few. Dr. Michael J. Brown uses several facial skin improvement techniques, including laser options like:
- Fraxel: works to reduce wrinkles, age spots, and scars.
- Intense pulsed light (IPL) therapy: works to improve the color and texture of the skin. It does this by reducing wrinkles, repairing broken blood vessels, reducing the appearance of freckles, age spots, spider veins, and rosacea.
- Titan: works by promoting collagen production, which improves the look of sagging skin. It can be used on both the face and neck.
- Genesis skin therapy: works on sun damage, large pores, and excessive redness. It gradually improves texture and decreases redness over time by heating the layers below the surface.
Forehead or Brow Lifts in Ashburn Virginia
Our foreheads are one of the first places we show age. Both wrinkles and brow positioning play a part. There are a lot of options – both surgical and non-surgical – to improve the look of the forehead and brow area:
- Skin resurfacing
- Cosmetic endoscopic surgery
- Forehead lift (also known as a brow lift)
Each of the first options has little to no down time, and even cosmetic endoscopic surgery is minimally invasive. However, additional treatments will be needed with each of these methods to sustain the results.
A forehead or brow lift can also treat this area. It can raise the position of the brows and reduce wrinkles on the forehead. It also can reduce the wrinkles seen between the brows. The result can be a youthful, more-relaxed look.
Protruding Ear Surgery or Otoplasty Ashburn*
Protruding ears can easily be changed. A similar surgery can be performed for large or misshapen ears as well. The ear cartilage is adjusted to change the shape or placement of the ear. The recovery simply requires ear dressings and a headband to be worn. This is often performed on children, and it can be done as soon as the ear has grown to its adult size. This typically occurs after a child is around 7 years old. The risks of otoplasty are discussed mostly with the parents but the child is made aware of them during the consultation.
While the ear cartilage is firmer as an adult, adults can also benefit from this procedure. In these cases, this procedure can be combined with other facial cosmetic surgery options if desired.
Neck Lift Ashburn
Our necks can show our age because the skin wrinkles there much like on the face. The skin of the neck can also sag a lot over time. These changes can result not just from aging, but also from weight changes and genetics.
There are several options to improve the look of the neck. Here are some examples:
- Liposuction to improve the shape
- Using an incision under the chin to manipulate the neck muscles, resulting in a tighter appearance (open neck lift). (All surgeries have risks, and neck lifts are no exception).
- Improved suspension of the muscles and skin through the scar-less iGuide procedure
Having a neck lift or another one of these procedures can result in a younger look. It can also give the appearance of weight loss. In the procedure, the plastic surgeon may:
- Get rid of extra skin
- Change the position, tighten, or remove some of the neck muscle
- Use liposuction to remove extra fat
- Use Kybella injections to melt the fat away without surgery
- Use other procedures to smooth the look of the neck
Neck-lift using iGuide*
The iGuide neck lift is a technique to lift the loose skin under the chin. There is no incision. Instead, a suture support system is placed through a few needle sticks. Instead of cutting and moving the neck muscles, a suture is passed under the jaw line. This uses one single suture. It can be used alone or along with a face lift, it does require liposuction.
What about the recovery from iGuide?*
Recovery times with iGuide neck lift are short. There are also less swelling, bruising and the risk of nerve and muscle damage.
Generally, patients are able to go back to work in a few days. In the meantime, a neck band is used for three days to aid in healing, especially if liposuction was done. No other down time is needed. Patients can resume exercise in a week or two.
You can see below a set of before and after photos. These photos are from the iGuide website. They were taken only 24 hours after the surgery. (This set of pictures is not Dr. Brown’s patient.)
There are a few adverse effects linked to the use of the iGuide. These iGuide risks include:
- Problems with the would breaking open
- Minimal inflammatory tissue reaction
- Nerve injury
- Temporary pain at the wound site
- Neck contour irregularities
Rhinoplasty or Nose Job
Our noses come in all varieties of shapes and sizes. This leads to all varieties of changes that can be made. Some people like a subtle change in the appearance of their nose, while others prefer a more substantial difference. Nose reshaping is called rhinoplasty and can be done in either case. It is best to wait until the nose is fully developed, but there is no upper age limit to make a change. The rhinoplasty procedure can of course be performed at the same time as other procedures on this page.
Nasal surgeries can be either cosmetic or medically-necessary. They are necessary when airflow is blocked or there is trouble breathing. This is called septal surgery. It is also possible to perform a cosmetic change at the same time as a change to improve airflow.
In cosmetic nose reshaping, also known as a nose-job, there are many changes that can be made:
- Overall size can be reduced
- Nostril shape can be changed
- Width can be changed
- The nasal tip can be reshaped, called a tip rhinoplasty
- The nose can be made symmetrical
Dr. Michael J. Brown has experience in both cosmetic and non-cosmetic nasal surgery. More before and after photos will be available to review at your visit.
The youthful appearance of lips comes from their fullness. Over time, the fullness can decrease due to the loss of collagen in the skin as we age. Wrinkles can also appear around the outside of the lips. Smoking of course increases these wrinkles.
Thin lips can be changed with injections or surgery. To create fuller lips, injections like Restylane, Juvederm, Belotero can be used. They provide fast results, but must be redone at regular intervals to maintain the new look.
Surgical solutions are more permanent. For example, fat from other parts of the body can be injected in the lips. This often results in more obvious changes that last longer. However, the recovery time is also longer and more side effects are possible. That said, lip augmentation can also help to reduce the look of fine lines around the mouth, which also creates a more youthful look.