THIS NOTICE IS FROM MICHAEL J. BROWN, M.D., P.L.L.C., A PROFESSIONAL LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY. (DBA The Loudoun Center for Plastic Surgery)
At the Loudoun Center for Plastic Surgery (collectively known as ‘company, ‘we’ or ‘us’), we respect your privacy and the Company is committed to protecting your privacy through our compliance with this policy, including all state and federal guidelines that are known to us.
This covers two policies:
Please read both of the these policies thoroughly. By interacting with this website and Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC, you are giving acknowledgement and your consent.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from the you (also known as the ‘viewer’ or ‘user’) or that you may provide when you visit this website (‘Website’) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On the Loudoun Center for Plastic Surgery website
- In e-mail, text, phone and other electronic messages between you (the user) and the website.
- Through mobile and desktop applications you download from the website, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you (the user) and the website.
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this policy.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by the company or any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
- Any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Loudoun Center for Plastic Surgery website.
Children Under the Age of 13
The Loudoun Center for Plastic Surgery website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any personal information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, please do not use or provide any information to us on the Loudoun Center for Plastic Surgery website or on or through any of its features/register on the website, make any purchases through the Website, use any of the interactive or public comment features of the website or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address or any screen name or user name you may use. If we become aware that we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at the contact information located on the website.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of the Loudoun Center for Plastic Surgery website, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, and telephone number (“personal information”);
- That is about you but individually does not identify you; and/or
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website and usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses and information collected through cookies, web beacons and other tracking technologies.
- From third parties – for example, our business partners.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Website, subscribing to our service, posting material, or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with our Website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Website and of the fulfillment of your orders. You may be required to provide financial and personal information before placing an order through our Website.
- Your search queries on the Loudoun Center for Plastic Surgery website.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted”) on public areas of the Website, or transmitted to other users of the Website or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although we may limit access to certain pages, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Website with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system and browser type.
We also may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking).
The information we collect automatically may include personal information, or we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our the Website and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs. pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an e-mail and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
- Trackable telephone numbers which keep track of phone calls made to some phone numbers on this site
- Offline website data – including both local and remote storage of activities
- Geo-targeting information about your location at the time of use of the site.
We do not collect personal Information automatically, but we may tie this information to personal information about you that we collect from other sources or you provide to us.
We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account/subscription, including expiration and renewal notices.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may also use your information to contact you about our own and third-parties’ goods and services that may be of interest to you.
We may use the information we have collected from you to enable us to display advertisements to our advertisers’ target audiences. Even though we do not disclose your personal information for these purposes without your consent, if you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement, the advertiser may assume that you meet its target criteria.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of Company’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Company about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To third parties to market their products or. We contractually require these third parties to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an e-mail address to use the “e-mail a friend” feature of our Website, we will transmit the contents of that e-mail and your e-mail address to the recipients.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Company, our customers or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please write us or call us based on the contact information and address found in the Website.
NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES (HIPAA COMPLIANCE)
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
THIS NOTICE IS FROM MICHAEL J. BROWN, M.D., P.L.L.C., A PROFESSIONAL LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY. (DBA The Loudoun Center for Plastic Surgery)
Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC provides cosmetic plastic surgery, cosmetic dermatology, outpatient cosmetic plastic surgery and related cosmetic medical aesthetic services. Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC is committed to maintaining the privacy of health information and to provide patients with a notice of its legal duties and privacy practices. Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC will not use or disclose private health information except as described in this notice. “Private Health Information” is information about you which was created or received by Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC and that relates to a past, present or future physical or mental health or condition, or the provision of, or payment for, health care and which could be used to identify the patient.
EXAMPLES OF DISCLOSURES FOR TREATMENT, PAYMENT AND HEALTH OPERATIONS. The following categories describe the ways that Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may use and disclose private health information without written authorization.
Treatment: Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC will use health information in the provision and coordination of healthcare. We may disclose all or any portion of private health information, such as medical reports, to attending physicians and other health care providers who have an emergent need for such information in the care and continued treatment of the patient. Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC also may disclose health information to other people, such as family members, clergy and others who may be directly involved in the patient’s care.
For Payment. Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may use and disclose your Protected Health Information so that we can bill for the treatment and services you receive from us and can collect payment from you, a health plan, or a third party. This use and disclosure may include certain activities that your health insurance plan may undertake before it approves or pays for the health care services we recommend for you, such as making a determination of eligibility or coverage for insurance benefits, reviewing services provided to you for medical necessity, and undertaking utilization review activities. To clarify and provide an example, we may need to give your health plan information about your treatment in order for your health plan to agree to pay for that treatment.
Health Care Operations: Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may use and disclose private health information during routine healthcare operations including, without limitation, utilization review, evaluation of our staff, assessing the quality of care and outcomes in the patient’s case and similar cases, internal auditing, accreditation, certification, licensing or credentialing activities, private health research and educational purposes.
Scheduling and Appointment Reminders: Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may use and disclose private health information obtained when scheduling medical or other healthcare services and when it contacts the patient as a reminder of an appointment for services. Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may also use and disclose private health information to tell the patient or others of information about treatment alternatives or other health-related benefits and services of possible interest to the patient.
Regulatory Agencies: Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may disclose private health information to a health oversight agency for activities authorized by law, including, but not limited to, licensure, certification, audits, investigations and inspections.
Law Enforcement/Litigation: If you are involved in a lawsuit or a dispute, Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may disclose Protected Health Information in response to a court or administrative order. Furthermore, Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may disclose private health information for law enforcement purposes as required by law or in response to a valid subpoena or court order. An effort may be made to tell you about the request or to get an order protecting the information requested. We may also use or disclose your Protected Health Information to defend ourselves in the event of a lawsuit.
Defense for comments or reviews that are available to the public: Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may disclose private health information for the purpose of clarification of statements made regarding Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC or to dispute the comments. If a person or known associate (i.e. family member) elects to publish comments about you or regarding Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC which allow for, or are determined to warrant/require clarification, Michael J Brown, MD, PLLC reserves the right to disclose your private health information.
Public Health: Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may disclose private health information to public health or legal authorities charged with preventing or controlling disease, injury or disability. For example, Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may be required to report the existence of a communicable disease to the Department of Health to protect the health and well being of the general public.
Workers Compensation: Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may release private health information to employers, health care providers, examiners, judges, insurance companies, and others with a need to know, in connection with workers’ compensation or similar programs. These programs provide benefits for work-related injuries or illnesses.
Required by Law: Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC will disclose private health information about you when required to do so by law including, without limitation, for judicial or administrative proceedings, to report information related to victims of abuse, neglect or violence, to assist law enforcement officials in their law enforcement duties.
Coroners, Medical Examiners, Funeral Directors: Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may release private health information to a coroner or private health examiner. This may be necessary, for example, to identify a deceased person or to determine a cause of death. Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may also release private health information to funeral directors as necessary to carry out their duties.
Other Uses: Any other uses and disclosures will be made only with written authorization.
PATIENT HEALTH INFORMATION RIGHTS: Although all records concerning treatment are the property of Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC you have the following rights concerning private health information. (“CFR” below stands for the Code of Federal Regulations). To exercise any of these rights, please contact the Privacy Officer identified below, in writing.
Right to Confidential Communications: You have the right to receive confidential communications of your private health information by alternative means or at alternative locations as provided by 45 CFR § 164.522. For example, you may request that Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC only contact you at work or by mail.
Right to Inspect and Copy: You have the right to inspect and copy your private health information as provided by 45 CFR §164.524.
Right to Amend: You have the right to amend your private health information as provided by 45 CFR §164.526.
Right to an Accounting: You have the right to receive an accounting of disclosures of your private health information as provided by 45 CFR §164.528.
Right to Request Restrictions: You have the right to request restrictions on certain uses and disclosures of your private health information as provided by 45 CFR §164.522. Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC may not agree to honor the request.
Right to Receive Copy of this Notice: You have the right to receive a paper copy of this Notice, upon request.
Right to Revoke Authorization: You have the right to revoke your authorization to use or disclose your private health information except to the extent that action has already been taken in reliance on your authorization.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REPORT A PROBLEM: If you have questions and would like additional information, you may contact: Kathleen Brown at the address below or via the contact section on the website. If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint with Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC and/or with the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. To file a complaint with the Dr. Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC , please contact: Kathleen Brown, Office Administrator and Privacy Officer, at 45155 Research Place, Suite 125, Ashburn, Virginia, 20147. All complaints must be submitted to the Privacy Officer in writing at the above address. There will be no retaliation for filing a complaint.
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE: Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC will abide by the terms of the Notice of Health Information Practices currently in effect. Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC reserves the right to change the terms of its notice and to make the new notice provisions effective for all protected health information that it maintains. Michael J. Brown, MD, PLLC will post any revised Notice (prior to implementation of same).
NOTICE EFFECTIVE DATE: The effective date of the notice is 2003, revised December 15, 2018.